I’m very excited to be featuring ‘The Proposers’ this week on my Supplier Spotlight, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, for having a fab website (love the ‘sssh’ – go check it out!), for having the best idea and really spotting a gap in the market and for all the buzz there is surrounding what they do! Meet the girls of the moment, the lovely Daisy and Tiffany.
- Tell me about The Proposers and what it is you do?
We’re the UK’s first marriage proposal planners. The idea is that while there are plenty of people to help you plan your wedding, when it comes to popping the question, men don’t have anyone to turn to.
Our most basic package costs £100. We send a questionnaire to the man asking him about himself, his girlfriend and their relationship, and based on that we tailor two proposal ideas specifically to them.
We also offer to co-ordinate it from start to finish and we negotiate for the best deals. People tell us their budget (whether it be £300 – £30,000) and we come up with ideas based on that.
We have recently arranged a proposal which involved a romantic treasure hunt around London. Having spoken to the wannabe groom, he explained that London was a special place for him and his girlfriend as they had shared lots of happy memories there together. We then decided to arrange a proposal where we set up a treasure hunt for his girlfriend taking her around iconic tourist attractions in London. At each attraction she found a photo of her and her boyfriend, or a memory that he has written out, and a clue. The clues eventually lead her to a VIP members bar over looking London at sunset where he was waiting for her on bended knee. Of course she said yes!
We’re currently setting up a proposal in the Lake District for a sporty couple which ends up with them abseiling into a private cave filled with memories and her favourite foods whilst being serenaded by her favourite music (it will mean that we have to abseil down there to set-up first, eek!).
- Where are you located and what areas do you cover?
We’re both based in London but our reach is all over the UK and Worldwide. Only recently we arranged a proposal in Ibiza and next month we’re jetting off to Malaysia (we’re really excited about that one. We can’t say much now but it’s going to be very hi-tech)
- Tell us about yourselves and your experiences in this industry?
Well we’re born to do this. You don’t just become a proposal planner overnight; it takes time to really know your stuff. In fact, over the past 10 years we achieved quite a few things we’re proud of, and here’s a few:
– Written for top magazines such as Grazia, Marie Claire, Elle and Cosmopolitan to name a few, not discounting plenty of wedding magazines and blogs. As a result we know all of the best venues, stylists, photographers etc who can help with your proposal.
– Extensive worldwide travel with time spent working in Australia, Greece, Switzerland and Ibiza meaning we have contacts worldwide so if you want to arrange a proposal abroad, we know how to do it.
– Graduated with degrees in Advertising & Marketing and Drama & English, so when it comes to creative ideas, we’ve certainly got an imagination and think outside of the box – no proposal will be too much of a challenge.
– Most importantly, we’re at the age where everyone is getting married so we’re in the ideal position to learn and share our knowledge
- Why did you set-up the business?
We are two extremely passionate romantic girls who love a romantic proposal or two. We planned our first proposal in 2011 and have inspired many proposals since but the company officially launched in May 2012. We met a few years ago when we witnessed a creative proposal ‘gone wrong’ in Hyde Park. The thought was there but unfortunately the spelling wasn’t. The Wannabe groom had decided to propose by writing “Make me the happiest man alive and marry me” in candles on the grass. Unfortunately he had spelt ‘happiest’ wrong. Luckily for him, Tiffany and I spotted this and quickly amended it before the bride-to-be arrived – we also offered to take some photos for him whilst he was down on one knee. We stayed around to watch the magic happen and was delighted when she said YES. Both being huge romantics and suckers for a good story, we spotted a gap in the market and decided to set-up The Proposers which offers bespoke proposal planning to anyone that just needs a bit of a helping hand.
After all, the story of the proposal will last forever and be told a million times so it needs to be right.
- What is the best part of your job?
Hearing about all the yes’s! It’s fantastic to work with people who are about to get engaged – you can’t help but share their excitement (and shed a tear or two). And there is nothing better than hearing the excitement in the couple once the proposal has happened and she’s said yes. It doesn’t feel like work at all. (we haven’t heard a NO yet!) We also get to work with some fantastic suppliers, wedding bloggers, wedding planners, photographers….
- What advice would you give to someone considering proposing?
Never use Google for your proposal idea, these are generic ideas that thousands of people have already used and they aren’t necessarily right for your relationship. Proposals need to be unique and personable to their relationship. i.e you shouldn’t propose in public if your girlfriend is quite shy. Take some time to really think about what your girlfriend would like as (I bet) she’s probably been thinking about this day her whole life so try and make it extra special for her, whether it be a romantic trip away, sky diving or home cooked candle lit meal, make it special and rememberable forever.
- What advice would you give to women who are hoping to be engaged soon?
Hang in there, he will do it soon but in the meantime, why don’t you give him a little hint! We have sneakily created a secret hint hint box on our website that takes you through to a page dedicated for women who want to give their boyfriend a kick-up the bum. Maybe he’s nervous or maybe he’s disorganised, either way we can give him a push in the right direction by sending a one-off email that details all the do’s and don’ts of proposing which will hopefully prompt him and get the ball rolling. It will never be traced back to you either, so go on, you’ve got nothing to lose and a wedding to plan.
- How do I get in contact with you?
0207 823 9119
This week I chat to Gaynor from Enfleur, a Wedding and Event florist based in Sevenoaks, Kent.
- Tell me about Enfleur and what it is you do?
Enfleur is a specialist Wedding & Event florist covering most of Kent and surrounding areas, founded by me – Gaynor Lawson.
I really get a buzz from working on weddings and realised this was where my creative flair and talent could be best explored. So I left my position in a local florist shop and set up Enfleur.
Four years and countless fabulous testimonials further on and Gaynor is still loving every minute of it, “We have only one rule and that is; we only take on one wedding per weekend. This is so that we can give our clients our undivided attention for their wedding day. All too often when working in shops, I found day to day business or multiple wedding orders meant that focus was lost.”
- Where are you located and what areas do you cover?
We are based in Sevenoaks and generally cover anywhere within an hour’s drive (approx 50 miles) from here, although we’re happy to go farther afield as required.
Image copyright – Enfleur
Image copyright – Lollypop Photo
- How long have you been a florist?
Fully fledged for 5 years, a keen amateur for many more!
- What is the best part of your job?
On a grand scale, I love taking a brief from a client no matter how sketchy or detailed it is, and transforming our joint ideas from paper into fabulous floral designs that make clients smile from ear to ear!
However, it’s the small things that really matter, such as weaving a swatch of lace from a bride’s dress into her bouquet, or concealing a treasured locket of a lost loved one inside a bouquet, so that only the Bride knew her loved one was walking down the aisle with her.
- What advice would you give when choosing flowers for a wedding or event?
Portfolios show off your florist’s skills – testimonials show you how happy their clients were! Ask about both.
Bring your likes and dislikes to your consultation – it’s as important for me to know flowers or styles that a client dislikes just as much as likes, to ensure complete satisfaction.
Be open about your budget – I always say that there is no flower ‘off limits’, it’s just the quantity we use that matters.
Seasonal flowers are usually good value for money and there is nothing quite like using scented summer flowers, but there are some flowers available all year round that perform exceedingly well too – ask your florist’s advice!
Image copyright- Rightshot
- How do I get in contact with you?
Tel: 07775 621849
Image copyright – Gill Taylor
I now hire gorgeous pieces to perfectly compliment your wedding or event, starting with these stunning glass hexagonal drinks dispensers. For more details click here. Keep your eyes peeled for more beautiful pieces being added over the coming weeks.
Look out for a gorgeous styled shoot featuring these glass drinks dispensers, coming soon!
I’m helping to plan the first Eden Valley Eco Fair, in conjunction with Sustainable Edenbridge and the Eden Valley Chamber of Commerce, to be held on Saturday 22nd September 2012, 10-4pm in Stangrove Park. Sustainable Edenbridge was formed in 2010 and focuses on local environmental and sustainability issues.
This September’s Eco Fair will showcase different ways in which we can live our lives that little bit ‘greener’ and show how local businesses are adopting environmentally friendly options. A fabulous family day out with stalls selling a variety of goods and produce, live music and children’s entertainment awaits and with places filling up for this event, if you would be interested in exhibiting or sponsoring then all you have to do is get in touch: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow my updates on the Eden Valley Eco Fair Event on Twitter.
It was beautiful scenes like this, from my recent holiday in Spain, that really got me thinking about how gorgeous a wedding destination it would make. However, getting married abroad doesn’t come without its questions – so who better to ask than the lovely Angela Valtueña from Catalonia Weddings Boutique. Being the first London based Spanish wedding boutique, with over 10 years of experience coupled with a wealth of knowledge about all things Spain, here are her tips and advice for holding your wedding under the Spanish sun.
Catalonia as a wedding destination
Spain is a very well known tourist destination for British people due to the weather, the food and wine and the charismatic and joy of its people, among others stereotypes such as “la siesta” and “la fiesta”. However, rather surprisingly Spain is not so popular as a wedding destination, even though it’s just 2 hours away from the UK and offers a climate and landscapes that you couldn’t ever imagine!
Catalonia is one of the most beautiful areas of Spain, located on the northeast of the country and having Barcelona as its capital. With over 500km of breathtaking Mediterranean coast, Catalonia is the perfect destination to hold an unforgettable wedding thanks to its history, its natural beauty, its different landscapes and its gastronomy. Actually, Catalonia is a region renowned for its outstanding cuisine and one of the top culinary destinations in the world.
Catalonia Weddings Boutique Ltd
Catalonia Weddings Boutique brings you closer to BARCELONA and the Mediterranean. It’s the first Spanish Wedding Boutique, based in LONDON, which focuses exclusively on arranging weddings in Catalonia (Spain) and its breathtaking and diverse landscapes.
Catalonia Weddings Boutique offers an integral, professionalised, customised and turnkey service to make sure that you have the wedding of your dreams and that you can enjoy every single moment of your most special day!
What does Catalonia Weddings Boutique (CWB) make different?
- Based in London & Catalonia: CWB operates from both London & Catalonia. The management is based in the UK & the execution in Catalonia.
- Knowledge of the Spanish Wedding Market and Catalonia: CWB has a close relationship with a wide range of amazing and high quality venues such as 5 star luxury and charming hotels, medieval castles, monasteries, typical Catalan villas and, much more, that will ensure the best possible service in the location of the your choice. Moreover, CWB has native know-how of the region’s culture, tradition, landscapes, gastronomy & legalities.
- Customized Service: CWB works with a reduced number of couples to offer the highest quality service. According to this, CWB doesn’t offer standard packages but all weddings are tailored to the couples’ preferences.
- Transparency & Closeness: CWB always listens to the couples’ ideas to make sure that the wedding fulfils their expectations. The way CWB works is 100% transparent.
- Professional Background: CWB is managed by Angela Valtueña, an expert in marketing, communication and event organisation with more than 10 years of professional experience. CWB brings a professional approach to wedding organisation.
Some tips when planning your wedding in Spain
Here are some tips that will guide you in planning your wedding in Catalonia:
- Weather: Catalonia provides flexibility when it comes to choosing your wedding day thanks to its benign climate, with many warm sunny days throughout the year and a low average rainfall. Spring and autumn are seasons of colour and contrast, with moderate temperatures (13-17ºC) and temperatures in summer are a pleasant 25ºC, although they can rise to above 30ºC. However, it’s not recommended holding your wedding during July or August because it’s too warm, it’s peak season and it’s overcrowded.
- Legalities: In Spain, both civil and religious weddings are legally recognised. However, civil ceremonies require a minimum period of residency in Spain (2 years roughly). For this reason, it would be convenient that you formalise your marriage at a Registry Office in your country of residence beforehand and then celebrate the symbolic or blessing wedding ceremony in Spain. This option is very popular even among the Spaniards who decide to hold the legal civil ceremony at a non-glamorous City Hall on a different day. Then their “real” wedding day usually takes place in a beautiful venue, the place where both the symbolic ceremony and the banquet will be held.
- Languages: Catalan people speak Catalan and Spanish. Unfortunately, nowadays there are still a lot of them that cannot speak English.
- Professional advice: It’s very important to have professional and native advice when you are planning your wedding in Spain/Catalonia. It’s crucial to know the language, the legalities and bureaucracy, the venues and all kind of suppliers who can give an answer to your needs.
- Timing: 1 year in advance should be enough to plan your wedding in Spain as long as you are sure about what you want. You must bear in mind that you should visit Catalonia, preferably 2 times, before your wedding in order to select the venue and the church (if it’s religious) in the first instance and later on for the décor, tasting menu or the hair trial. But, this is not mandatory and it depends on your availability.
- Slump in the euro: Due to the economic crisis, now is a good time to get married in Spain. Regardless of the current situation, getting married in Spain/Catalonia is more cost-effective than doing it in the UK.
If you want more information about getting married in Spain or if you need more reasons to make the decision, please, do not hesitate to contact me. I will be more than happy to answer all of them. Trust Catalonia Weddings Boutique and your wedding day will be an amazing, different and sunny experience in Spain!!
Catalonia Weddings Boutique Ltd
Tele. +44 (0) 7794 868 002 // +34 675 953 251
Bottom logo: Something New
Finest Detail Weddings has had a makeover and is now renamed and refreshed! With a new website and logo design and some exciting ventures planned, things are pretty busy here at Finest Detail Weddings & Events. I look forward to sharing all the details soon x